Friday, October 24, 2008

Paris, or Flatbush Avenue

click image to enlarge

I have painted several versions of this painting, some large some small, some horizontal, some vertical. I assume that the image is of Paris but I do not know this for a fact. Many people have told me it is Paris so I have come to think of it as such.

I found this image as part of a magazine article I was reading, the location was not referred to in the article. I made a photocopy of the image and put it in my box of such photographs. I saved the image not because it made me think of Paris, but because it made me think of Brooklyn.

Previously I posted a painting of the Manhattan Bridge, if you drive to the end of Canal street in Manhattan you come to the Manhattan Bridge, if you cross over that bridge you come down into Brooklyn on Flatbush avenue, if you drive up Flatbush Avenue a few blocks you come to a place that looks just like this painting, at least it does to me.

You may object and say that there are no such decorative lampposts on Flatbush Avenue, and all I can say to that is, wait till it is dark enough and raining hard enough and you will see the similarities. All great cities are the same in the dark, in the fog, and in the cold.

This painting measures 8.5” x 11.375”. It is painted on canvas, and is signed with an R on the front, and full signature and date on the back, Richard Britell, September 23, 2001

No comments: