Wednesday, December 26, 2007

276 Cups of Coffee, Or My Trip to Rome


A few years ago I made a trip to Rome and from the day I got there until the day I left, the most important experiences I had, consisted of sitting at little tables in the street and drinking coffee from tiny little cups. All the great art and historical monuments could not rival the coffee-drinking aspect of the trip. I’m sure that you know what I mean if you have ever been there, or Paris or London for that matter.

This drawing is like a sketch-book journal of all the really great coffee I drank in Rome that I can remember. But don’t think that I was indifferent to the great art and architecture. In the last rectangle of my drawing you can see part of a building; it is one of those buildings that have statues on the roof. If you look, you can see the legs and feet of one of those statues. What is even more fascinating than those buildings with their statues however, are the great flocks of birds that circle overhead as the sun is setting, for about an hour every evening. They are drawn into that last square also.

No comments: