Sunday, December 30, 2007

Drawing, Best Coffee I Ever Drank


This is a drawing of the corner store in the town of Housatonic on Route 183 in Western Massachusetts where I live. But nothing is as simple as all that, and I have to be more specific. It is a drawing of that corner store in the fading light of early evening, in the rain. The view is from inside a car, so the image is further obscured, and made more painterly, by the water on the windshield that has merged and blended all the forms together. The diagonal strokes at the bottom left and right are the marks of the windshield wipers going back and forth. This drawing has a very long title which I include here since it wouldn’t fit in the title box:
Full Title:
I was standing early in the morning with our rednecks in the village store having coffee. As usual they eyed me suspiciously and one of them said, apropos of nothing, “This is the best country.” I couldn’t but agree and addressing them all I said with conviction, “This is the best country. And this is the best state in this country. This is the best town in this state. With out a doubt this is the best and only store in this town. And this is the best coffee I ever drank!”

No comments: