Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Driving into Boston on Storrow Drive


I was born in Utica, New York, and when I was growing up the New York State Thruway was being built. I think that my first experience of landscape, especially urban landscape comes from traveling on the thruway. The Interstate roads give us very special, unique views which I have always been very affected by. I especially like the views of older architecture, and big complex neighborhoods, when seen from an elevated highway such as this view of brownstones along Starro drive, traveling into the heart of Boston.

This drawing was done with a black wax pencil on a heavy cold press watercolor paper that was first painted brick red, then lemon yellow and then off white, or perhaps it’s the other way round..........yes,............. I’m sorry but on closer examination I see that the lemon yellow went on after the off white. When the various coats of paint were dry I sandpapered the surface so that the white breaks through the yellow all over the place and this subtle tonal variation can be seen in the scan. You might want to ask me, “Richard, why do you complicate your life and your drawings with all this technical mumbo jumbo, why not just take some ordinary paper and do a drawing?”

This is a really good question and I’m going to try and answer it when I post a drawing tomorrow on ebay. That way I’ll have time to think of a good answer.

This drawing measures 4.5” x 12” and is signed with an R on the bottom front and full signature and date on the back, Richard Britell, June 23, 2001.

No comments: