Monday, January 14, 2008

To Hear You in my Mind’s Ear


“I began To See You in my Mind’s Eye, To Hear You in my Mind’s Ear.’

With each drawing that I post I like to give some specific information which only the creator of a work like this might know. With this drawing I would like to point out its color. I like to use an earth red for figure drawings, and it has been a favored color with artists for drawing the figure for hundreds of years. The red of the pencil, and the redness of blood both come from the same source, iron. So if one draws with an earth red on a slightly yellow piece of paper, once the drawing begins to develop it is exactly as if the tip of the pencil were passing back and forth over the actual figure, and not a drawing at all, it sometimes seems like a living thing.

I wanted to show a scan of the drawing and not a photograph and therefore it is only possible to present that part of the drawing that fits in my scanner. The image is larger in all directions. There is a little more space at the top, the figure ends a little below the knees and there is more space left and right. Unlike my other drawings, this drawing does not have a border line around the outside edge.

The drawing measures 18” x 11.25”, it is drawn on an off white, warm toned laid paper. It is signed and dated across the bottom left, Richard Britell, June 7, 2001.

No comments: