Saturday, February 7, 2009

Faraway Look



It’s math class in grade school. The teacher says “I have five apples and I buy five more apples, now how many apples do I have, Johnny?” Johnny says, “I can’t answer the question because I don’t like apples.”

It’s not like that in math class but it is always like that in art class. People want to draw and paint pictures of the things that they love, and you can hardly get them to look at or draw pictures of things that they hate.

When I taught school often a woman would say to me “My daughter is drawing and painting all the time, will you look at her things and tell me if she should go to art school.” Then the mother would bring to school a huge pile of paintings and drawings, all of horses, and I would have to say, “Your daughter is probably interested in horses, not drawing and painting.”

But those drawings of horses represent a fundamental principal of art, which is that we have a deep and permanent longing to make and elaborate images of things that we love.

Dimensions: 6.5” x 3.75”
Materials: Wax pencil on off white watercolor paper
Signature: The initial R at the bottom right hand corner, full signature and date on the back: Richard Britell, July 21, 2002

No comments: