Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Was Born in Utica


Like everyone else I am very egocentric. I imagine that upon very careful and thoughtful analysis, the place where I live will turn out to be the center of the universe. And after all how is one to calculate exactly where that center is. As far as I can understand modern mathematics, the center of any system is determined by how you are looking at it. Furthermore I think that everyone feels that they are in the center of the universe, but they are just too shy to say so.

Anyway, my notions are grounded in a curious historical fact. I was born in Utica. When I was growing up, the New York State Thruway was being built. On the thruway for many years the mileage markers at the ten mile intervals were set from Utica. Therefore as you drove along you would pass signs saying: Utica 80 miles, and then Utica 70 miles and so on. It was therefore natural for me as a small child to imagine that there would be similar signs in France, or Belgium, or even China for that matter, telling everyone how far away Utica was.

The mileage signs on the Thruway have been changed now, and I did sometimes wonder how such an inconspicuous collection of dilapidated buildings in upstate New York could be so important.

Dimensions: 2.5"; x 7" including the black border
Materials: Oil paint on palladium, on paper. (Palladium is a precious metal that does not tarnish. It looks like silver but costs more than gold.)
Signature: In the bottom right corner: Full signature and date on the back: Richard Britell, May 4, 2002

No comments: