Thursday, February 5, 2009

While Putting on her Lipstick

click image to enlarge
Usually when I begin a drawing I know exactly what it is I am going to draw, and how I am going to compose it. At other times I will have a lot of ideas floating around in my head and I will just start randomly drawing on the paper with no particular object. This style of drawing is very transparent and has a dreamy quality because you can see through the forms. All the figures have something in common, they all have that abstracted look that comes from concentrating on something. The woman on the far left is putting on her lipstick, as she does this she is thinking of all these other things which have appeared in the drawing. Drawings like this lead to other drawings later on. The bald man in the upper left is a jeweler who is looking at a watch, the watch is second hand, it is one of two. He is about to say, “This one is the better one, just look at the movement of the second hand, how tight and precise it is”.

Dimensions: 11.75" x 8.25"
Materials: Pencil on laid drawing paper
Signature: bottom edge, Richard Britell, June 6, 2002

No comments: